Holy Trinity Church
|Loddon Church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was built about 1490 by Sir James Hobart, who lived at Hales Hall, and was Attorney General to King Henry VII.
It probably replaced an earlier Norman church and an even older one built by St Felix, Bishop of East Anglia, about 630 AD.
A splendid example of a parish church in the Perpendicular style, Holy Trinity Church stands prominently in a huge churchyard in the centre of Loddon, and is visible on high ground across
the marshes from the River Chet.
||The outside of the building is faced with fine flintwork.
The interior contains a lofty hammerbeam roof, painted rood screen, Jacobean pulpit, Victorian pews with carved poppy-head ends, several table-top tombs and an ancient poor-box.
A medieval font is set high on three steps.
Its shaft and bowl were originally carved and painted, but sadly defaced during periods of iconoclasm.
In the corner of the church, to the left as you enter can be found a small spiral staircase leading to the Priests Room.
A Church Watch scheme operates, and from Easter to October the church is open to visitors, for historical interest or quiet contemplation.